Possible future features:
- Add an email share button to share “I signed this petition”.
- Include AJAX check to see if email address has been used before when it is entered i.e. before submission (under consideration)
One click to send multiple petitions declined – open to abuse
There has been an issue that took a while to track down where petitions wouldn’t display despite there being a shortcode on the page.
Thanks to Tobias author of another plugin. Working with Steve from Florida he noticed a non breaking space being inserted in the example short code in the list of plugins.
Instead of [emailpetition id="2"], what people were copying and pasting was [emailpetition id=”2″] which is a special space that looks like a normal space but acts differently in a wordpress plugin.
Knowing the problem, it was a really simple fix that was worth pushing as an update on its own.
In case you aren’t aware of the history of SpeakOut!, it came from a plugin named SpeakUp by Kreg Wallace. It was a good plugin but Kreg seems to have abandoned it and he can’t be found.
The plugin needed some touching up after no updates in 4 years so I took it on, renaming it to SpeakOut! to keep them separate while acknowledging the origins.
That was in 2015 some time. Every once in a while I tinkered with the plugin to make changes I wanted and all was quiet. I never pushed an update.
Then one day in April 2017 I discovered that there is a support forum and life changed for me and the plugin. There were dozens and dozens of support requests and bug reports that I had no idea existed. I tried to go back through them but it was too hard if they were more than 6 months old. But I did manage to solve some issues and now am looking after the plugin actively.
Here is what happens to downloads when you finally release updates 😛
Apologies. When copying the contents of a file from my development site to my code repository I accidentally copied the contents of one script into another similarly named script breaking signatures.
Version 1.3.2 was released within 24 hours and fixes this.
I broke the widget in version 1.2.0 and haven’t been able to repair it. So I have rolled back a couple of versions and am rebuilding the changes. I’ll also be managing version control a bit better in future 😛
Version 1.3.0 should be out before the end of the month.