Possible future features:
- Add an email share button to share “I signed this petition”.
- Redirect to a specific page after submit
Optional display custom message with signatures implemented in 1.4.3
- Optional redirect people to another page once they have signed
BCC petition to self implemented 1.3.1
- Option that address fields be required
Display signatures as a comma delimited string rather than line by line implemented in 1.4.2
- Move widget thank you notification to bottom of widget
- Include AJAX check to see if email address has been used before when it is entered i.e. before submission (under consideration)
One click to send multiple petitions declined – open to abuse
- Additional custom fields (under consideration)
As an example we would like to have someone sign our petition, but then tell us 2 more fields (their age), and maybe a group of checkboxes of the sports they play since we are using the “petition” more of a “sign a pledge” functionality. Would be excellent to be able to get these 2 bits of meta data to help in our reporting.
The translations were a bit of a mess. Some files were named wrongly so didn’t work. Some phrases were missing. And, to be honest, I had no idea how translations and WPML (Word Press Multi Lingual) worked.
But I soon discovered that it is difficult to update translations or add new ones…especially if you don’t speak that language.
So I purchased poedit and I have to say that while not quite a breeze, translations are now manageable. The biggest hassle is when I add or change a string, I have to update, check, compile and upload each individual language file. So I won’t be doing that too often.
So far there are:
- Dutch nl_NL (Kris Zanders)
- Finnish fi_FI
- French fr_FR
- German de_DE (Hannes Heller, Armin Vasilico, Andreas Kumlehn)
- Hebrew he_IL (Oren L)
- Italian it_IT (MacItaly)
- Norwegian nb_NO
- Polish pl_PL (Damian Dzieduch)
- Romanian ro_RO (Web Hosting Geeks)
- Russian ru_RU (Teplitsa)
- Slovenian sl_SI (MA-SEO)
- Spanish es_ES
- Swedish sv_SE (Susanne Nyman Furugård @sunyfu)
If your language is missing and you are willing to check over what I provide for glaring or humourous mistakes, use the contact form.
There has been an issue that took a while to track down where petitions wouldn’t display despite there being a shortcode on the page.
Thanks to Tobias author of another plugin. Working with Steve from Florida he noticed a non breaking space being inserted in the example short code in the list of plugins.
Instead of [emailpetition id="2"], what people were copying and pasting was [emailpetition id=”2″] which is a special space that looks like a normal space but acts differently in a wordpress plugin.
Knowing the problem, it was a really simple fix that was worth pushing as an update on its own.
In case you aren’t aware of the history of SpeakOut!, it came from a plugin named SpeakUp by Kreg Wallace. It was a good plugin but Kreg seems to have abandoned it and he can’t be found.
The plugin needed some touching up after no updates in 4 years so I took it on, renaming it to SpeakOut! to keep them separate while acknowledging the origins.
That was in 2015 some time. Every once in a while I tinkered with the plugin to make changes I wanted and all was quiet. I never pushed an update.
Then one day in April 2017 I discovered that there is a support forum and life changed for me and the plugin. There were dozens and dozens of support requests and bug reports that I had no idea existed. I tried to go back through them but it was too hard if they were more than 6 months old. But I did manage to solve some issues and now am looking after the plugin actively.
Here is what happens to downloads when you finally release updates 😛
Apologies. When copying the contents of a file from my development site to my code repository I accidentally copied the contents of one script into another similarly named script breaking signatures.
Version 1.3.2 was released within 24 hours and fixes this.
I broke the widget in version 1.2.0 and haven’t been able to repair it. So I have rolled back a couple of versions and am rebuilding the changes. I’ll also be managing version control a bit better in future 😛
Version 1.3.0 should be out before the end of the month.